The law states you have a have a Fire Risk Assessment! Is yours up to date?
Under the Fire Safety order of 2005 businesses that employ five or more members of staff must carry out a fire risk assessment and have a safety management process in place. Fire Risk Assessments should be continuously reviewed by the designated responsible person of the business.
Local Fire Officers carry out spot visits to businesses and require the responsible person to produce documented Fire Risk Assessments for evaluation. It is an offence which carries an enforcement notice if this cannot be produced. In the event of a claim on your insurance policy, they will expect all clients to comply with the Fire Safety Order 2005 when dealing with your claim.
Call our Fire Risk Assessment team on 01709 761 007 or fill out our Ask the Expert form >>
What is a Fire Risk Assessment?
This is a document that is tailored for your company and its status relating to Fire Safety. It is a tool to record your findings, preventative measures and also to document any improvement measures going forward. Scaitec Fire & Security Solutions are NEBOSH trained and are competent to draw up this document tailored around your business needs. We take a methodical approach in analysing your business working practices to create the document. The main areas that we look when doing the assessment are:
- Fire Prevention / Hazards: smoking, housekeeping, heating, electrical equipment, flammable liquids and combustible substances and storage of rubbish. These are areas where fires risks can be reduced.
- Communication: How will a fire be confirmed, detectors, fire alarms, signs, emergency lighting.
- Means of Escape (Escape routes, Escape plans, Fire drills, vulnerable occupants and people at risk.)
- Confinement (Fire Doors, Lifts, Fire stopping devices, Smoke dampers)
- Fire suppression (Portable and fixed firefighting equipment and training requirements
- Training, Fire Drills, Testing, Maintenance, Identifying fire Hazards and review procedures and prepare an emergency plan (What’s in place and any improvements that are required.)
Once the Assessment has been carried out an action plan will be drawn up going forward on any recommendations we find and any particular area that might be improved. Any improvements will be formulated with time scales and actions to get your premises safe and up to standard. This will form the basis of your business on-going fire safety procedures and demonstrates compliance with the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety order). We will work alongside the responsible person, review the assessment ongoing and make any changes to keep you in line with legislation and also changes within the business.
Training of employees Training of employees in fire safety awareness and appointing suitable fire wardens will usually be recommended as additional fire safety measures Our customer base extends to all of Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Derbyshire which includes Barnsley, Bradford, Chesterfield, Leeds, Rotherham, Sheffield, Worksop and Wakefield.
Scaitec Fire & Security Solutions can guide you through the process from beginning to end so you understand the fundamentals of fire safety. Call the team today on 01709 761007.
We supply and install security systems for domestic, commercial and industrial premises, and our services include the following…